Thursday, November 28, 2013

Now that November is fast pau, let's teuteu 'a e Kilisimasi!

I know I've written along these lines a little bit previously, but in honor of the wonderful season that is going to be upon us so soon, here is a list of my favorite Yuletide entertainment.

  Movies

1. It's a Wonderful Life. You already knew I loved this one, didn't you?
2. Mr. Krueger's Christmas. I've already written about this like twelve times, so you know how I feel about it.
3. While You Were Sleeping. There was one year when my family watched this once a week almost every single week from January to December. We just do not get tired of it. (and ps, word to the wise: never watch it with us. we will spend the whole time quoting it and laughing at parts before they come up).
4. White Christmas. My parents taped this from TV sometime in the early nineties, and we have been enjoying it every single season since.
5. Holiday Inn. Oh Bing Crosby. Oh Fred Estaire. Yous are too much!
6.  Meet Me in St. Louis. My mom does not like this movie, because she is not a fan of Judy Garland. I, however, am a fan, and I cry when she sings "Have yourself a merry little Christmas."
7. Home Alone. Mostly enjoyable because it reminds me of my little brother.
8. The Santa Clause. Whenever I see this movie, I remember the first time I saw it: my aunt and uncle took my siblings and mom and I to the theater to see it when it came out. It was the first time I had been to the movies, and I remember the awe of the full screen and feeling so wrapped with love in the presence of my family. 
9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. My little brother loves the Jim Carrey version of this movie, but I'm more of a fan of the animated. I just love the story. Dr. Seuss is like the CS Lewis of the picture book world.
10. The Forgotten Carols. This is actually a play which I love and most of my family can't stand. But I think it's beautiful and I love the story. Written by Michael McLean.
11. The Fourth Wise Man. My mom loves this story. Thus, I love it.

Books and Stories

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I love this book so much. SO.MUCH. Please, please, please read it this season?
The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke. Read this for the first time a few years ago, at the suggestion of President Monson. Enjoy rereading it at least once a year for the reminders that it prompts.
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry. This story was a staple in our family's "24 days before Christmas" canon. I still hear my mom's voice in my head when I read this.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson. A favorite roommate introduced me to this one. Love it.
Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck. Once again, reminds me of my mom. She is the little boy in the story.
The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke. See note about the movie (#11) above.

Music


Christmas is not complete without the hymns of Christmas ("Joy to the World!") but outside of those, the following are some of my favorite Christmas albums and songs:
Handel's Messiah
Bing Crosby Merry Christmas and The Bing Crosby Christmas Album
Michael Buble Christmas
Celine Dion These are Special Times
Michael McLean The Forgotten Carols
Wrangler Country Christmas
The Carpenters Christmas Portrait
John Denver Rocky Mountain Christmas and The Classic Christmas Album
"Do they know it's Christmas?" by Band Aid

Feel free to add to the list. I love this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment